Examples of Modal Auxiliaries for Expectation
(5/5, 11 votes)
Modal Auxiliaries for Expectation Examples
1. Present/Future Expectation Examples:
When you expect something to take place but you are not 100% sure of that, you will use should/shouldn’t to represent the expectation.
- Your math test is at 11:00 am. You should get ready now. (Present)
- Can you please help him to do the work? It should take ten minutes only. (Future)
- Aric has an exam He shouldn’t go out now. (Present)
- Alice is starting from home so early. She shouldn’t be late. (Future)
- Richard has a concert on next Tuesday. He should start rehearsing now. (Present)
- Jack has an important exam this week. He should not leave the city now. (Present)
- Jen’s flight is at 3 pm. She should start from home now. (Present)
- You have to submit the project report tomorrow morning. You should complete it now. (Present)
- Can you show him the way to the Chairman’s room? It should take a few seconds only. (Future)
- Suzan has prepared herself so well for the exam. She shouldn’t get poor marks. (Future)
2. Past Expectation Examples:
While expecting anything was supposed to happen in the past, you have to use should have/ shouldn’t have and the past participle form of the verb.
- I sent the parcel a week ago. Allen should have received it by now.
- Tom is a talented designer. He shouldn’t have made this mistake.
- You have to present the topic tomorrow. You should have prepared yourself by now.
- Jeff is a sensible person. He shouldn’t have behaved like this.
- Aric has an exam tomorrow. He should have completed his studies by now.
You may also use should have/ shouldn’t have to represent things of the past as right/wrong good/bad/.
- Jack should have done it earlier because it really helped him to improve himself.
- Aric should not have done it because it was a wrong decision.
- You should not have bought the fish because it was rotten.
- Alex should have admitted his fault as it was good for him.
- Richard should not have gone to watch this movie because it was a waste of time and money.
Published By LearnGrammar.Net