Definition of Sentence:
“A combination of words that makes a complete sense is called a sentence.” - J.C. Nesfield
“A group of words which makes a complete sense is called a sentence” - Wren & Martin
Examples of Sentence:
- Robert was a good king.
- He had a great army.
- He wanted to bring peace to his kingdom.
- There were many others who wanted to become king.
- They started plotting against him.
- Their plots were failing because of some trusted friends of the king.
- Then they started killing those trusted friends.
- Eventually, they succeeded in their plan of killing the king.
- Did they make a good move?
- Can they find a new king without dispute?
- After the death of the king, everyone wanted to be a king.
- A great chaos broke out in the kingdom.
- People were anxious and unhappy.
- War does not bring anything good to the common people.
- It only brings sorrow and dismay.
Note: all these examples of sentence contain at least one verb and one subject and gives a complete sense.