Definition of Complex Sentence
Complex sentences are constructed with at least one independent clause and one dependent clause to make one complete sentence joined by subordinating conjunctions. Without being attached to the independent clause, the dependent one does not convey a complete sense.
Complex Sentence Examples
- When I woke up, the sun was yet to light the sky.
- The ambulance arrived after the accident had taken place.
- If you like the cake, we can pack an extra piece for later.
- Before you go to bed, finish doing the dishes.
- Even though it was raining, they started their trip.
- We would love to visit your family home, provided there is no heavy traffic.
- They did not move until the rain had stopped.
- My friend left the country because she needed a fresh start.
- Make hay while the sun shines.
- I went along with the plan although I did not have a good feeling about it.
- Since talking could not resolve the issue, there is no point going forward with the deal.
- Whenever the prices hike, the monthly sales drop.
- As I was crossing the road, a car slid right past me and crashed into a tree.
- Many enjoyed the puppet show; however, Alison did not.
- Being a gentleman, he held the door for his entire group.
- The entire planet is bound to suffer if the ozone layer collapses.
- We properly started enjoying the show when the Grammy-nominated actor graced the screen.
- I know who stole the necklace.