Definition of Noun Phrase:
A Noun phrase is a group of words performing the task of a noun. The types of Noun phrase include:
- Appositive Phrase
- Infinitive Phrase
- Gerund Phrase
1. Definition of Appositive Phrase:
An appositive phrase does not technically modify another noun, just renames that.
Examples of Appositive Phrase:
- Tom Cruise, my favorite actor, is the hero of the movie.
- Runa Laila, the famous singer, is the chief guest of the program.
- Rabindranath Tagore, the world poet, is the author of “Gitanjali”.
2. Definition of Infinitive Phrase:
An infinitive phrase contains an infinitive at the beginning.
Examples of Infinitive Phrase:
- I love to hang out.
- I like to write poems.
- I love to sing songs.
- To walk more is good for health.
- To tell lies is a sin.
- To speak the truth is a virtue.
- To eat excess is bad for health.
- To smoke is injurious to health.
3. Definition of Gerund Phrase:
A gerund phrase contains a gerund at the beginning.
Examples of Gerund Phrase:
- I love hanging out.
- I like writing poems.
- I love singing songs.
- Walking more is good for health.
- Telling lies is a sin.
- Speaking the truth is a virtue.
- Eating excess is bad for health.
- Smoking is injurious to health.
- Drinking water properly is essential for all of us.